Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Tombstone Tuesday - October 18, 2016 - Noble Paget McLam

Noble Paget McLam was born on September 9, 1861 in Norwood, Ontario. He is the son of Thomas and Esther (Paget) McLam. The first evidence I find for Noble is in the 1871 Canadian Census. His parents are living in Acton, Halton, Ontario, Canada.  Thomas and Esther have five children; Samuel(1846), Sarah Jane(1847), Ann(1857), Noble(1863) and Mary Agustine(1865).

I found an 1885 Halton County Directory which list the McLam men:  James is a Blacksmith, Noble is a blacksmith, Sam is a carpenter, Thomas is a shoemaker or cobbler.  

Noble Paget McLam married Roxy Swackhammer on January 1, 1891.

County Marriage Record



Close up view of Noble McLam and Roxy Swackhammer marriage license.

It appears from other researchers that Noble and Roxy may have had as many as five children but I can not confirm that as of this post.  They had two daughters; Bertie(1892- 1982) and Stella(1900-1990) and it appears that they had three sons; Noble Arthur(1898-1899), Franklin(1899-?), Cecil (1903-1904). The three sons died as infants. I will continue to try to verify this information.

Noble P McLam was a Blacksmith until 1935 when he retired. Roxy died in 1935.  He died in on October 18, 1943.  According to both death certificates they are buried in Acton, Ontario. I am unable to find tombstone photos for either Roxy or Noble. Note that on the death certificate the informant is Mrs J Adamson of Acton, Ontario and it states that she is a daughter. Bertie married John Cole who died in 1927, did she remarry and Adamson?  Or is this Stella? A mystery for another post. I have not found tombstones.

Noble Paget McLam
If I ever find them I will post them here.

Rest in Peace,

Jan Smith

1 comment:

  1. Jillayna.adamson@gmail.comNovember 29, 2016 at 8:25 AM

    Hi there, I am Stella's great grand daughter. Are you a descendent of Noble?

    ReplyDelete

If you would like me to respond to you, please include your email address. Thanks I hope you enjoy!