Thursday, March 17, 2011

Meet the McGoogans....

I’ve had my corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots and now I am feeling really Irish! So it is time for me to share with you some of my Irish roots. At this time I still can not determine when the first McGoogan arrived but I keep working on it!  Happy St Patricks Day and may the luck of the Irish be with you all today!

Robert McGoogan was born in Pennsylvania in 1760. He and his wife are listed in the 1790 census in Unity, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. The family consisted of 8 persons but I have only been able to positively identify four of the names of the children who would have been listed in the 1790 Census. The parents were Robert and his wife Margaret and three sons have been identified. They are part of the children listed in the 1790 census.  They are Robert, Samuel and James McGoogan.

Note the fourth line from the bottom - it's our Robert in the 1790 Census for Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania.

We are descendants of Robert who was born in 1784. He married Elizabeth in 1803 in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania. They had eleven children, three were born in Pennsylvania and the remaining children were born in Richland County, Ohio. The children are; Jane(1804), Rachel(1808), Sarah(1811), Elizabeth(1815), Clementine(1815), Robert (1820), John (1822), William (1823) Angeline(1825), Joshua (1827), Mary Ann (1832).


William who was born in 1823in Ohio.  He married Hannah Robart (1832) in Ohio before settling in Allen County, Indiana bef ore 1856 when their first daughter was born.   Thier children are Amanda(1856), Mary L. (b.1856, d. 1861) , George B.(1863), Arabella(1863) and Elizabeth(1873).


 
 
Amanda shown in the photo above, married John Crites in 1873. She and John are our GGGrandparents on the Smith side of the family.  I have talked about them in early blogs in the archives. They were my one of early success stories which tugged at my heart and fueled my passion for family history. 

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Irish Blessings to you all!

Love Jan

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like me to respond to you, please include your email address. Thanks I hope you enjoy!