Saturday, November 6, 2010

Where has the time gone....

Where has the time gone? It is now November and this weekend the snow has begun to fly in Indiana. I meant to get right back at my blog when I returned from my trip in September but so much has happened which was just more important! Family events we would rather not think about but when the day comes, you make the best of them.

The first event was the death of my father-in-law, James Henry Gerkin on the day after my return to the states from Denmark, September 22, 2010. He was failing while I was over seas and I knew the end was near. I sat in a cathedral in Copenhagen asking God to help him hang on until I could get home. You might think that it was selfish of me but I really did it for my husband. I did not want him to be alone when he got the news that his father had died. My husband supported me when my parents died and I want to do the same for him.


As I emptied my suitcase and started laundry from my vacation, I repacked a smaller suitcase with clothes for a wake and a funeral. We called the Razzano House Bed & Breakfast and reserved a room. The week was a busy one. All of the Gerkin family members were able to make it to Watseka for the wake and the funeral. The weather was still sunny and warm, beautiful early fall days. It was good to see everyone but we wished it had been for other reasons.



James was such a gentle man. I have only known him for 17 of his 96 years of life but in those 17 years, I never heard him raise his voice. I have seen him mildly irritated but never really mad. He treated everyone that he came in contact with gentle, tenderness. He was a faithful Christian man who had planned to make it to his 100th birthday if God had been willing. He is missed but he was blessed with 96 years of life. So be it!



James Gerkin at one years old in 1914

I am sure that as Jim entered into heaven he too probably asked, “ Where has the time gone?” 96 wonderful years of life - So be it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like me to respond to you, please include your email address. Thanks I hope you enjoy!