Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday - July 20, 2010

It has been a busy summer so I got a bit off track but I will try to get going again. I have made new contacts with the Darke County Smiths so maybe we will get this untangled yet! I received this Photo from a fellow Smith researcher. It is of William Smith’s tombstone. She had taken this photo some time ago. When I visited Smith Cemetery in May of 2010, I did not see this tombstone. It may be broken off or hidden in tall grass along the fence line. I will look again when I return later this summer or in early fall. I now have many other graves that I will be looking for in this cemetery.

This is William Smith he died Dec 26, 1842. He is one of the three Smith brothers who came to the area in 1836. James Smith, his brother, died shortly after their arrival in 1836 and is the first person buried in this cemetery.


I find Catherine Smith at 78 years old  living with he daughter and  son-in-law, Elizabeth and Daniel Crawn in Japser County, Indiana in the 1850 Federal Census.  If my James Smith is related to this family, I think this would most likely be his parents.  I do not have the supporting documents to support this assumption so I continue to search.  I will be looking for a will for Catherine.This stone is Catharine's stone which from the Photo is hard to read.  I will verify that she is the same Catherine and should find that she died between the 1850 census and the 1860 census where I no longer find her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you would like me to respond to you, please include your email address. Thanks I hope you enjoy!